Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What do I do with leftover chicken stock?

Make a beef stew! Ok, ok, there is really no connection here, just a little creativity of the mind. I had chicken stock left over and I knew it was going to go to waste. Since I was working from home today, I needed an easy recipe that could simmer on the stove for hours while I worked. Chicken or pork didn’t sound appealing. The apartment is still recovering from the sea bass my fiancĂ© attempted to pan fry and burned, so fish was out. I love cooking soups because they’re so easy and there are some amazing recipes I have found. I decided to make something with beef. Of course, it had to be beef stew…what else would we enjoy during this cold winter weather.

A quick search of FoodTV’s website, mind you a very slow search since they redesigned their website. I came upon Giada’s recipe. Giada has fool-proof, easy, flavorful recipes and is usually my top pick when I’m looking for a specific recipe.

Alterations to the recipe:
  • 2 cups of wine instead of the whole bottle
  • 1 pound of stew beef instead of beef brisket
  • Left out pancetta, olives, and green beans
  • Added sliced herbs, chopped onion, and sugar to the marinade
  • Marinated for 1/2 hour on each side instead of 3 hours total
  • Added sliced mushrooms
  • Dredged the beef in some flour before browning
Fiancé: Absolutely delicious. He had two bowls for lunch!

Recipe: Chianti Marinated Beef Stew
Recipe courtesty Giada DeLaurentiis, 2008
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chianti-marinated-beef-stew-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment