Tips for an easy paella:
- Cut the recipe in half, or in third.
- Find a big skillet with a lid.
- Buy a roasted chicken, the meat is tender and it's so much easier than buying a 3-pound raw chicken and cutting it into small pieces. You can use the leftover bones to make chicken stock. Avoid the first step of searing the chicken.
- Leave of saffron if you don't have it. It's pretty expensive.
- Substitute Old Bay seasons (Lemon & Herb) for Creole seasoning.
- Substitute crab legs for the lobster. I will probably leave out the crab legs because they're a little difficult to eat with paella all around it.
- Mussels were delicious. Don't be afraid of cleaning them. If you squeeze them, they will begin to shut slowly. If they don't shut all the way, throw them out.
- Peel the shrimp.
- Watch the mussels and shrimp when they cook so they don't overcook.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse